Friday, March 20, 2009

Why I am Not Productive

So, I realize it is Friday and not Tuesday like I predicted when I said I would post something new, but I discovered something about myself that I feel I should share.


I am not always so productive on the computer


There are a number of hours each week I must spend on the computer. They include work and play and both are justifiable. My problem is when I sit down to work, I check my email, my blogs, other people's blogs, turn on my iTunes, and watch or read anywhere from 2-4 unnecessary videos or articles before I even get to my work I originally sat to accomplish. What would have taken 30 minutes or 1 hour turns into a 2 hour ordeal. Today, as I was logging on to do my homework and check in with my online classroom, I checked two email accounts, responded, deleted old mails, checked comments on my blog, responded, sent an IM (to which I am still waiting for a response Erin Harrison), watched the video I had posted MYself on MY own blog that I have already watched, watched three more videos, and then came here. It has been thirty minutes and this is what I have to show for it. I laughed a lot; I am not going to lie. But, as far as accomplishments, there won't be any by the time my kids wake up from naps, because I won't have accomplished the intended accomplishments.



SO, are you this way with the Internet/computer? Come on. You can tell me. If you are, you can join me in cutting back. I love my laptop; I don't want him to feel neglected, but if I keep going the way I am going, my kids, house, husband, Self, school, ministries, and the rest of my life are going to feel neglected. I chose the rest of that list. Won't you join me.


Decide how much time you should realistically spend on the computer. Then, stick to it. Set a timer if you need to. If you are, like me, in school up to your armpits, set a schedule of when you will work online and when you will give your attention where it is needed most. This is a tough one for me. I like visiting you all so very much.

No comments: