Saturday, March 28, 2009

Desires of The Heart


Remember when the Bible tells us God gives us the desires of our hearts?


New American Standard Bible (©1995)Delight yourself in the LORD; And He will give you the desires of your heart.


Well, look it up if you don't. I feel frustrated sometimes because God has given me so many desires, I don't know which ones to follow. Being a wife and mother are the most pressing, so I usually deal with those first, but what am I supposed to do with everything else? I mean, some of my desires may seem over the top, but they are reoccurring dreams, so I should listen to them right?

Anyway, am I the only one who gets caught up in the feeling that I desire more than I am capable of accomplishing? Am I using each desire to serve God? Am I taking the time to thank and recognize God when I get to experience things or actually GET the desires I have prayed so much about?

No. sigh. I guess I know where I need to start.


Here are a few desires I feel are from God:


successfully play a stringed instrument- guitar, piano, cello, whatever

serve my community through outreaches

raise my kids to be contributors to society

be a teacher in a public school

graduate from college


Feel like sharing yours? We won't mock you or hold you accountable to them unless you want us to.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Shontell -
As a young mother I felt the constant frustration of having too many desires, and not enough time or energy to fulfill them. Where I stand now, is to realize that none of those desires get fulfilled without God's leading. So I pray and ask for guidance, direction, wisdom, and just put the outcome into his hands. Surrendering my desires to his Will is the key. I am constantly amazed at how he guides and directs us in ways that ultimately fulfill our deepest desires, although along paths different from what we had imagined. He is Faithful to fulfill his plan in our lives. Jeremiah 29:11-13 Blessings - Diane

kris and mel said...

my desires are:

personal healing (not to be confused with a song by a similar but not exact same name)

being able to play guitar & sing well enough to lead worship

to count for something.

to have access to in-n-out burger whenever i want.

those are the main ones.

shontell said...

Diane- good wisdom and insight from a pro. I appreciate it.

Mel- your priorities are out of whack. In-and-Out should be at the top.