Thursday, January 29, 2009

Don't Tell Me NO!



As a mother, you never want to hear your kid tell you NO. As adults, we get tired of saying NO to people, or maybe you are the kind of person who doesn't say it enough. Whatever your relationship with this word, forget about it! From this day forward, decide you are no longer going to tell yourself no. (DISCLAIMER: Some exceptions apply. Please see the common sense part of your brain to see what these are.)

For any of you who have even thought the word diet or thrown around the phrase "healthy lifestyle," you know how quickly your rebellious bone steps up the second you commit to anything having to do with those words. That is how it is for me. The second I say "no sweets" or "no pop" (that's soda for all you weirdies) or I determine to stick to a structured diet or menu, I am hosed. That little guy on my shoulder suddenly sprouts prongs that seem to thrust me toward the very things I am hoping to avoid. Well, no more no!

Rather than take away all the happiness involved in my food, I am going to focus each week on adding something new to my daily diet. Soon, I will be so full of the right stuff, I won't have room for the indulgences. When I want a piece of cake or treats at the movie, I know I am not going to need to stuff myself, because those things are not off limits. I don't have to wait a week and gorge myself on junk on a "free day" as part of a diet plan. Trust me when I say I can make up for a week's worth of junk food in a single Sunday. It isn't pretty.

This week, I am adding more water to my days. You should too. Every time you go to drink something like a cup of coffee, a tea with lunch, a liter of cola (just trying to mix things up here) drink one 8 oz. cup of water first. OR try drinking ONLY water with meals. Save your special drinks for between meals.

4 comments:

Trista said...

drinking water is a good way to distract your body and stave off hunger. Your body actually thinks that is hungry if it is dehydrated. Just a note. I have found it to be extremely helpful in this quest towards getting my body back under some kind of control.

shontell said...

ooh, good point friend. Also, your body kicks into gear when you are drinking water. It speeds your metabolism.

scoeyd said...

drinking water is also often cheaper, esp. when it is taken from the faucet instead of a fancy plastic bottle.

shontell said...

AND GREEN! We use filtered water out of the fridge. Excellent. We oh so rarely purchase water, because it seems weird when it shoots out of so many places for around $20 each month. We just have to take the time to fill up before we take off.